If you have only moments before evacuating and haven’t prepared a Vital Document Packet or any emergency supplies, grab these items quickly and go!
(Note: Use travel routes specified by local authorities. Shortcuts could be impassable or dangerous.)
- Driver’s license or personal identification
- Basic supplies: Water, food, first-aid kit, hygiene items
- Prescription medications, glasses or contact lenses
- Maps: The official evacuation route, alternate routes and a list of shelters
- Car keys and keys to the place you are going (if applicable)
- Cash and traveler’s checks
- Provisions are likely to be limited, so plan on using your own supplies.
- Many organizations have created pet-friendly shelters, but sometimes pets are prohibited. Call your local emergency management office, animal shelter, or animal control office to find out which shelters in your area do accept pets.
- Smoking, alcoholic beverages and weapons are prohibited.
- Expect and plan for confined and uncomfortable conditions.